pages

Saturday 17 March 2012

Watch, O Lord...

Over the course of years, having had the very good fortune to do some spiritual and liturgical wandering and wondering, I've stumbled upon and gathered a good storehouse of those prayers that just say a thing so well, so beautifully, and hit home so perfectly.
Today at a conference in Perth, one of my all-time favourites was used. That tender, compassionate, and utterly pastoral prayer of St Augustine - long a favourite for services of compline.
At the end of what has been an incredibly long day, with many excellent conversations, superbly delivered workshops, and a fab key note speaker, I think Augustine's prayer an apt one to blog...after which, a very early night for me!!

Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight,
and give Your Angels and Saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest Your weary ones.
Bless Your dying ones.
Soothe Your suffering ones.
Pity Your afflicted ones.
Shield Your joyous ones.
And all for Your love's sake. Amen.

2 comments:

Danny said...

I love this prayer too, takes mke back to my Piskie days :)

Nik said...

I think there are a few of us who have had a Piskie flirtation :)