pages

Thursday 26 February 2015

Lent, day 8: wholly Holy

'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.'  Isaiah 6:3

A memory from many years back...
It was morning.
A blue-sky day.
The heat and humidity of the tropical sun already cranked up to nearly full-blast.
Walking to the school assembly hall that doubled as church on Sunday, a small voice called from behind me:
'Nik! Nik!'
I waited for this little one to catch up, white-blonde ponytail bouncing, catching the sun, as she raced along.
We walked into the hall together as she told me about her week.
And then, the sudden solemnity that only a child of 6 can muster.
There was something else.
I stood still, waiting for her to tell me this Important Thing.
'Mummy bought me,' a wee pause, 'a bible.'
I nodded, my expression matching her own solemnity.
This was an Important Thing indeed.
Curious as to what kind of bible she'd been given - where there pictures, was it child-friendly? -
I said 'that's a very special present, isn't it?  What kind of bible?'
Big blue eyes looked up to me.
A face filled with sheer awe and wonder.
Words said in hushed, reverent near-whisper:
'It's a holy bible.'

Of course it was.
Sometimes it takes a child to remind us of ordinary things made extraordinary:
God's word, contained in scripture.
Wholly holy.

No comments: