pages

Friday 17 July 2009

Friday five: games

Jan over at revgals has issued the challenge of games...

1. Childhood games?
Dune races: generally involved grabbing large squares of cardboard to slide down the sand dunes. Sadly also involved loss of one tooth two days before my 10th birthday, when I ended up colliding with a hidden pipe at the bottom of the dunes. I thought it gave me a somewhat rakish air, and the dentist was pleased. Oddly, mother was not.

2. Favorite and/or most hated board games?
Scrabble!!!!! Oh, and 'Mousetrap'. Am developing a church history board game currently called 'Indulgence' - chocolate is involved, but not in the Lent section, of course.

3. Card games?
Kim's game; rummy

4. Travel/car games?

'yellow car' - has become a favourite the last couple of years. Involves punching someone [gently of course] anytime a yellow car is spotted. Other assorted vehicles can be included, with appropriate physical gestures....

5. Adult pastimes that are not video games?
drinking, gambling, fornicat... er, no....
There's always the 'Dictionary' game. I know, I know, sounds dull, but it's not if your friends are ingenious and inclined to evil. Involves [taking turns] someone finding a word in the dictionary: at this point everyone has to be honest and tell if they know the word. When a word is found that nobody knows, the players create definitions and the one with the dictionary also writes down the meaning. All bits of paper go into a hat, mixed about and then the player who has the dictionary begins to read out the various definitions. Points are scored when a player's definition is chosen by any or all of the other players - a point per person// or if nobody chooses the correct definition, the player who started the round gets a point per player. The next round commences with the dictionary being passed to the person on the right of the previous holder of the dictionary. When everyone's had a turn with the dictionary, the points are totted up and the game ends - or it can continue as long as you like. You don't have to try to come up with a definition that's correct... :)
As I said, sounds dull - but my ribs still ache from laughing from a game played 10 years ago, part of which involved 'small damp puppies' and 'telepathic seals': I was on dictionary duty - had nipped to the loo briefly... they all conspired together to write the most ludicrous definitions imaginable. As I began to read out the definitions one by one... my composure got lost in hysteria.

Bonus: Any ideas for family vacations or gatherings?
Avoid them? Wear protective kevlar armour?

9 comments:

MaineCelt said...

Fantastic play-- would love to have a go at "Dictionary" with you, though I'm not necessarily ingenious or evil!

We play "yellow car" over here, but the variants I play have been called "slug-a-bug" or "punch-buggy." (Both involve sightings of VW bugs.)

Under card games, you list "Kim's Game." What is that, exactly?

altar ego said...

Ah, yes, Mousetrap. Had forgotten about that! Great fun. And I adore dictionary. One lesson learned, though, is to disqualify anyone who knows latin. They guess all the word roots and spoil it for the rest of the gang. My last time at dictionary welsh rarebit kept cropping up in the definitions. Imagine!

Auntie Knickers said...

Dictionary is fun, but I agree, as someone with only 2 years of Latin I often can figure things out. I'm going to need to look up Mousetrap and Kim's Game (I thought the latter was something like Concentration?) Hadn't come upon your blog before and now not only want to read it more, but some of the ones on your blogroll as well.

Sue said...

"Indulgence" - that game would sell. I know I would buy one. That way I could be assured a place in heave....oh wait. Reformed. Never mind...

Love the kevlar armour idea!

angela said...

Isn't that "dictionary" game what's used on NPR for what passes for a game show though I'm blocking on the name? It sounds like great fun to me. You have quite witty answers and I bet you're loads of fun when playing games!

Ruth said...

Hilarious. And I just posted about the same game as Dictionary. Love it.

Jan said...

Dictionary is definitely going in the idea file for the upcoming family vacation! Thanks.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

The dune races sound like a blast. Enjoyed all your answers.

ellbee said...

Love "Dictionary" My family of word geeks will have to give that a go soon!